The Galaxy Community Conference has been held annually since 2010. GCC2016
will be held June 25-29 at Indiana
in Bloomington, Indiana, United States.
*We are now seeking proposals
organizations interested in hosting GCC2017.*
Galaxy's informal policy of rotating between North America and elsewhere
every other year is now a formal policy: Hosts for GCC2017 need to be
located outside of North America.
GCC draws 200+ participants from data-intensive life science research.
Participants come from around the world, from all career stages, and do
research spanning the tree of life. Universities, hospitals and medical
schools, research organizations, and industry are all represented,
including some of the largest and most influential research organizations
in the world.
What do you need to host GCC2017, you ask? In approximately decreasing
order of importance:
*Enthusiasm to plan and organize several events over 5 days for more
than 200 people.*
- Space for 4-6 parallel training sessions over two full days, with each
space able to accommodate 25 to 75 participants.
- Central meeting space with capacity for 250-300 people.
- Affordability (or access to sponsorship funds; there's a reason we've
always held GCC in academic settings)
- Nearby space for breakouts, poster sessions and sponsors.
- Nearby space for lunch, coffee breaks.
- Good wifi for all events (that's 200+ people and their devices).
- Space for hackathons for 2 days before the event.
- Easy to get to by air.
- Nearby, affordable housing, or easy walking distance or easy public
transport from lodging options to conference facilities
- Close proximity to a pub and other social hubs.
Hosts get copious (and enthusiastic) organizational support from Galaxy's
Outreach Team (who have been helping to organize GCC since 2011), and even
more copious gratitude (even *adulation!)* from the Galaxy Community.
See the *full call for host proposals
more details on what should be covered in proposals. Proposals are due by
the end of 30 October 2015. If you are interested in possibly hosting
GCC2017 then please contact Galaxy Outreach <outreach(a)galaxyproject.org> with
any questions. Our goal is to announce GCC2017 at GCC2016 this coming June.
Hoping to work with you in 2017!
Dave Clements and the Galaxy Team