Hi Hans-Rudolf, Maria, all
The GOBLET meeting starts next Monday, which means we need to get this settled as soon as possible. So far their hasn't been much discussion, which means Hans-Rudolf and I get what we (HRH+DC) want. I'd rather present what we (GTN) want. Which means we need your input now.
If there's no discussion in the next 24 hours we'll go with what we have, which is below
1. Enable/Host online discussion about bioinformatics training.
Biostar or Github recommended. (I lean towards Biostar-like solutions.)
2. Embrace the Carpentry model for training material and training datasets
Yes. Maybe even "Hell yes!"
HRH suggests pushing for this now, instead of proposing GTN try this for a year and report.
Maria, I suggest you push for whichever option you think they will receive better at the time (or suggest both as options).
3. We prepare short presentations on whatever points we decide to push.
Gosh this seemed like a good idea when it's implementation was a week in the future.
Depending on discussion in the next day,
- I'll start working with Björn and Bérénice (and possibly HRH) tomorrow to get these done.
4. Should GTN stay in GOBLET?
HRH asks two questions.
Has GOBLET been in contact with GTN?
They are in contact with me. I forward what I think are the interesting emails on to the Galaxy-Training list. Most of the significant ones were about workshops, either sponsored by GOBLET or relevant to GOBLET membership. There were also 2 editions of the new GOBLET Newsletter. Several of the events were directly relevant to GTN membership.
I was also invited to consider running for a GOBLET office. I declined this as the offer came during a month when I was swamped, and trying to avoid commitments.
What I haven't seen, outside of the events, is a call to action, such as:
- advertise your event through GOBLET channels.
- Share you materials through GOBLET.
and so on. (Both those things are available, I just don't do them. )
I want to know what is happing with this money
My memory is that this is covered in detail at the GOBLET meeting. I suspect that this is already published online, and if it's not, I bet we could get them do it pretty easily.
1. GTN stays in GOBLET for another year.
2. We let them know that we discuss this value proposition every year.