We are accepting aplications for an open bioinformatician position at the IMPPC Genomics
Unit to be filled by December 2010.
Please read details below.
Tel (+34) 93 554-3075
Fax (+34) 93 465-1472
Institute of Predictive and
Personalized Medicine of Cancer
Crta Can Ruti, Camí de les Escoles s/n
Bioinformatician (Genomics Unit)
IMPPC Genomics Unit Overview
The Genomics Unit at the Institute of Predictive and Personalized Medicine of Cancer
(IMPPC) serves as internal core facility addressed at fulfilling the genomics needs from
institute researchers and collaborators. It has its own line of research focused on
genomics technology development. The IMPPC is a new independent non-profit-making research
centre founded by the Generalitat of Catalonia (Autonomous Government). The activities of
the IMPPC are directed at the development of the necessary tools to make the concept of
Predictive and Personalized Medicine in the field of cancer a reality.
* To provide bioinformatic support to processing and statistical analysis of genomics data
derived from massively parallel sequencing, microarray, genotyping and high throughput
* To implement and develop bioinformatic tools to identify molecular changes which serve
as biomarkers of cancer and other diseases.
Main areas of research:
1. Bioinformatics and genomics technology development
2. Cancer genomics and epigenomics
3. Biomarker discovery and predictor development for cancer risk assessment
* MSc or PhD in Bioinformatics (with relevant experience, degrees in Biology,
Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Medicine, Mathematics, Statistics or
Computer Science will be considered)
* Programming skills in biocomputing and statistical languages (perl, R or related)
* Demonstrated experience in microarray, genotyping or sequence data analysis.
* Formal training or experience in molecular biology, epidemiology, oncology,
biostatistics, and/or bioinformatics a plus
* The candidate should be highly motivated, with excellent communication skills,
sufficiency in English, ability to interact with researchers from different fields, and to
work as part of a team.
* Full time 3 year contract, core funded, with possibility of extension
* Competitive salary according to qualifications and experience
* Support from a new scientific institution devoted to high quality research in the fields
of genetics and epigenetics of cancer
* Interaction with other leading cancer research groups
* Interaction with other bioinformatics groups within and outside of the institution
* Possibility for career advancement and attendance to specialized training courses
Applications should be sent to:
CV (including contact details)
Introductory letter (experience, motivation...)
References (names and contact e-mail and phone numbers of at least two referees)