I am trying to think about a path forward with this composite
multiple file dataset implementation. It seems there is consensus
among the galaxy team that it shouldn't be included because grouping
actual datasets would be superior. In that light, I am revisiting this
e-mail, because depending on the implementation of what you described
multiple file datasets are a specific case of this concept with some
likely uncontroversial enhancements for the specific case of composite
datatypes that are a homogeneous list of files. Does that make any
If I implemented (i) and (ii) in such a way that the multiple file
dataset stuff flowed out more organically is there any chance than it
could be included in galaxy-central. If no and the implicit datatypes
and parallelism stuff would remain no-gos implementing what you
described would still benefit the multiple file datasets
implementation, so I still might do this, would a clean implementation
of just what you described be accepted?
Any thoughts you or anyone has on the future direction of composite
datatypes in general would be appreciated?
Thanks for your time,
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Jeremy Goecks <jeremy.goecks(a)emory.edu> wrote:
This is nice and is a path forward for the immediate future.
That said, a couple extensions to Galaxy to better support composite
datatypes would enable cummerbund without the additional tools:
(i) extending the composite datatype to include definition of individual
outputs in the collection;
(ii) extend the history panel to allow usage/selection of (1) the complete
composite set of files or (2) individual items in a composite datatype
Once (i) is done, (ii) should be straightforward using the new history panel
Of course, the advantage of these extensions is that they'd address both
cummerbund issues as well as other challenges, such as using output from the
On Oct 11, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Jim Johnson wrote:
Checking to see if there is any interest in including a parameter option to
select outputs for cuffdiff,
potentially including a composite output and a cummeRbund sqlite database.
cuffdiff produces 21 output files, which is a little unwieldy in a galaxy
cummeRbund generates its database when given a cuffdiff output directory,
but manually hooking up 21 outputs to the cummerbund_wrapper is a pain.
I've put demo code in the testtoolshed under the name repository name
This includes new datatypes defined in datatypes_conf.xml and implemented in
<!-- html composite dataset with cuffdiff outputs in the extra files
<!-- cummeRbund SQLite database -->
The cuffdiff wrapper has a multiple select parameter to choose which output
files to put in the history.
In addition to the 21 cuffdiff outputs, the wrapper can also generate:
cuffdata - which is a composite HTML output with links to the 21 cuffdiff
cuffdatadb - which is the cummeRbund SQLite database
I also added utility tools:
cuffdata_datasets - which will take files from the composite cuffdata and
copy them as datasets into the history
cuffdata_cummerbund - which generates the cummeRbund cuffdatadb from the
I updated the cummerbund_wrapper:
with tryCatch so that a R error on a plot won't exit the Rscript
to include a small image of each plot on the html page
added plots for : dispersion, scatter matrix, MDS, and PCA
Please keep all replies on the list by using "reply all"
in your mail client. To manage your subscriptions to this
and other Galaxy lists, please use the interface at: