The Galaxy Community Conference has been held annually since 2010. *GCC2017*
<https://gcc2017.sciencesconf.org/> will be held 26-30 June in Montpellier,
*We are now seeking proposals
from organizations interested in hosting GCC2018.*
GCC alternates every year between meeting in North America, and meeting
outside North America. Hosts for GCC2018 need to be located in North
GCC draws 200+ participants from data-intensive life science research.
Participants come from around the world, from all career stages, and do
research spanning the tree of life. Universities, hospitals and medical
schools, research organizations, and industry are all represented,
including some of the largest and most influential research organizations
in the world.
What do you need to host GCC2018? In approximately decreasing order of
*Enthusiasm to plan and organize several events over several days for more
than 200 people. *
- Space for 4-6 parallel training sessions, with each space able to
accommodate 25 to 75 participants.
- Central meeting space with capacity for 250-300 people.
- Affordability (or access to sponsorship funds)
- Nearby space for breakouts, poster sessions and sponsors.
- Nearby space for lunch, coffee breaks.
- Good wifi for all events (that's 200+ people and their devices).
- Space for hackathons for 2 days
- Easy to get to by air.
- Nearby, affordable housing, or easy walking distance or easy public
transport from lodging options to conference facilities
- Close proximity to a pub and other social hubs.
Hosts get copious (and enthusiastic) organizational support from Galaxy's
Outreach Team (who have been helping to organize GCC since 2011), and even
more copious gratitude from the Galaxy Community. You also get to
highlight your institution to the Galaxy Community.
See the *full call for host proposals
for more details on what should be covered in proposals. *Proposals are due
on November 30, 2016*. If you are interested in possibly hosting GCC2018
then please contact Dave Clements with any questions. Our goal is to
announce GCC2018 at GCC2017 this coming June.
Hoping to work with you in 2018!
Dave Clements and the Galaxy Team